Essien angered by father’s ‘false’ stories

With 29 days to the FIFA World Cup in South Africa, Ghana's ace midfielder, Michael Essien, is not only saddled with concerns about his fitness but also media reports about neglecting his sick father in Ghana.
In reaction to the latest report which suggested that he cared very little about the health status of his father, the combative midfielder expressed his indignation and has threatened legal action against sections of the media which he believes are just out to tarnish his image and that of his family.
"I have faced many difficult challenges in my life but this is the hardest thing to have hit me. My heart bleeds over these false statements peddled by a small section of the Ghanaian media goaded by my own father."
Essien said he would have preferred not to make family issues public because of his belief that it is God who rewards openly the things that are done in secret but he is being forced to respond to protect his image and that of his family.

Family image

"I don't want to discuss my family or any good I do to anyone in public because when you do good, you do it only for God's recognition. But for the thousands of Ghanaians and the highly respected people of Ghana who have contacted me on this matter and know what I have consistently done for my father, I need to react to stop the attempt to make me and my family look bad in the eyes of Ghanaians," he said.
According to Essien, reports that he has neglected his father are totally false because despite the continuous negative picture painted about him, he still considers him as his father and takes good care of him.
He disclosed that his father's three-bedroom house which he presently occupies and the frequent visits by his sisters were on his orders, adding that his mother whom his father accuses every now and then, also provides for him.

“It is on my orders that he is visited monthly and now twice a week by my sister Diana. It is also my order to regularly give him money and other essentials. My mother, whom he has insulted so much, also provides for him. I bought a car for him to make his transportation and movement easier and part of the money I provide for him is used to fuel his car or repair it when it breaks down."

He said when his illness broke out, "I asked for him to be taken to the Asikuma Hospital but he said he wanted traditional medicine. I provided money for him to undergo traditional medical treatment. It came to nothing and I ordered for him to be taken to the hospital. I have also organised for a nurse to come home and look after him on regular basis.
"I am shocked by what he is alleged to have said but God knows I have done my best to thoroughly look after him. I am surprised at how certain media houses in Ghana take interest in a one-sided story and not check the other side before going public with it. I want to state categorically that even after such distasteful comments, I will continue to support my father as I believe it is the right thing to do,” Essien said.
He said on the advice of his lawyers, he will sue the media houses involved in the publications to serve as a deterrent for others.

Source: Ghanaian Times/Ghana

Comments

All Your Needs MarketPlace